Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Gladiator

The film Gladiator is overall one of my favorite movies. The emotions captured in the film are intense, and Maximus is one of my favorite characters of any movie. The entire storyline following Maximus makes me feel for him and I was constantly cheering for him to win and kill Commodus. Commodus in this movie is a complete creep and was easily my least favorite character. The only thing he did during the movie was make me feel really uncomfortable. This movie made me want to be Maximus and made me want Commodus punished. I think after seeing this, I have a very exaggerated view of how gladiators lived, and this period of Rome seems very cool.

I think a theme of this movie is family. At first, all Maximus wants to do is get to his family, but he cannot since Marcus Aurelius asked him to bring the rule back to the people. Once his family is killed, he has no choice but to do everything he can to try to be with them, including prayer. Eventually, he returns to them, leaving behind a legend to the Roman people.


1 comment:

Burk said...

Although I can see the idea of family being a theme for this film, what I am struggling with is your line of reason. If he wanted to return to them sooner, why would he not take his own life, or allow himself to killed in the arena? I think your reasoning is a stretch - perhaps I just don't get it. Nonetheless, keep in mind that clarity is key for future reference.